First of all here's wishing all the wonderful women a very Happy Women's Day we rock girls!!
Starting with today's post, I made this Eggless Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Mascarpone Frosting for my dear roommate V. She celebrates her birthday on Women's Day. Being pure vegetarian she doesnt eat eggs so with little googling I came across Sandhya's recipe for Eggless Chocolate Cake and it sounded perfect. I emailed her regarding a query and she was kind enough to reply back immediately. Thanks Sandhya for sharing such a wonderful recipe, I have used her recipe as a base and made some changes.
From the moment I saw homemade mascarpone cheese recipe on Deeba's blog I was itching to make it at home but due to some or the other reasons I really couldnt find time nor an occasion. I have used mascarpone cheese before in my Tiramisu but nothing can compare the homemade version. I was in for a surprise, mascarpone turned out to be incredibly rich and creamy! I just couldnt stop having it and I am sure I am going make this very often. It is so easy to make and so very cheap from the ones we get in the market. You can even use mascarpone cheese inplace of cream cheese in your dishes, use it in curries to make them rich and creamy or in your desserts or even while making some basic white pasta sauce or in dips and sauces...phew the list could go on and on possibilites are endless!! So what are you waiting for rush to your kitchen and make some homemade cheese!!
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 tbsp Hersheys Dark coco powder (You can even use Cadbury's)
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup strong black coffee
1 cup beaten curd (without water)
2 tsp vanilla extract
Procedure for Cake:-
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Grease and line a 6 inch or 7 inch round cake tin.
- Sieve flour, coco powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- Form a well in between and add in the liquid ingredients one by one and beat well with each addition.
- Add in vanilla essence in the end and give a quick mix.
- Pour the batter in the tin and bake for 40 to 50 mins until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Once done, cool is completely about 30 to 40 mins before slicing the cake horizontally into 3 slices.
Recipe for Mascarpone Cheese:-
500ml fresh cream 25% fat (I used Amul)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Heat the cream over a double boiler until it reaches 82 degrees C or 180 F. This will take about 15 mins, dont forget to stir the cream often.
- Stir in the fresh lime juice and stir it continuosly until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and let it get cooled down to room temperature.
- Line a vessel with four layers of muslin cloth. Pour the mixture in the vessel layered with muslin cloth and refrigerate over night or upto 24 hours.
- After refrigeration the cream will have thicken up further and will be soft to touch.
Recipe for Chocolate Mascarpone Frosting:-
1 cup mascarpone cheese (Half of the above recipe)
200 ml heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp coco powder
5 tbsp vanilla sugar
- Chill the beater knives and the vessel in the freezer for 15 mins.
- Make sure the whipping cream is also chilled but not frozen.
- Beat all the ingredients together for about 5 mins until stiff peaks form. Donot overbeat it may lead the cream to curdle.
1/2 cup of water
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp rum (optional)
Color chocolate sprinkles to decorate the cake
Let your imagination flow :-)
- Place one of the three layers on the serving plate. Drizzle sugar syrup over the cake to moisten it.
- Spread the chocolate mascarpone frosting evenly on all the sides.
- Repeat this procedure for all the 3 layers. Cover the sides and top of the cake with frosting.
- I have given an uneven look of frosting on the cake purposely.
- Decorate the sides of the cake with colorful chocolate sprinkles or as you wish.
- The icing is also perfect for piping.
Verdict? I simply loved this cake, was moist and chocolaty to the core. The mascarpone frosting was very rich and light an absolute delight to work with and delicious in taste. V enjoyed her cake and even commented about this being the best cake she has ever had on her birthday :-) Now that certainly makes it a winner isnt it?