Saturday, August 15, 2009

Creamy Butter Beans and Green Peas

Let me start by wishing you all a very Happy Independence Day! Today India celebrates her 63rd Independence Day. As children this day is always remembered as a holiday from school, buying national flags and showing them off on your cars, singing national anthem, watching the flag hosting and eating sweets. I have some really special memories attached with this day, back home our residential complex celebrates independence day every year in our building garden. Every year on this day national anthem and other patriotic songs are played from morning 7 am. I remember waking up hearing them :) Light snacks and a packet of Frooti is distributed later on to all the children. Small small children sing patriotic songs and give speeches on indian history. Later on we watch the flag hosting ceremony on the national DD channel, my dad never misses this parade and always insist we too watch along with him. Childrens and students from overall states of india perform in the parade by dancing, singing, sports etc. If you havent watched this parade as yet, i request you to please watch it next time as the efforts taken by the students is worth while and i salute them for their talent! The co-ordination and consistency between the performers is remarkable!
Now coming on to today's recipe, i had seen this recipe at Meeta's blog and immediately bookmarked it. In gujarati butter beans are also known as "Vaal" and usually cooked with usual masalas in a curry style. I loved the idea of making them with cream and I am so glad it came out delicious. I have made few changes to the recipe and used green peas instead of leaks. Its simple and creamy dish and you can enjoy it as a side dish with roti or rice or even have it all by itself.
Sending this to Viki's event Side Dishes for Chapathi and to MLLA 14 hosted by Susan this month.
Ingredients:
1 cup butter beans (lima beans) soaked in water overnight
1 medium onion minced
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp butter
2 tbsp cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
fresh coriander or parsley for garnishing
1 cup water as required
Procedure:
  • Heat oil and butter in a pan, add in minced onions and saute for 2 mins.
  • Now add in butter beans, salt, pepper and enough water to cover the beans.
  • Cover the cook on medium-slow heat for 15 to 20 mins.
  • Beans will be halfway cooked, now throw in green peas and fresh cream.
  • Again cover and cook for 5 to 6 mins , until butter beans are soft and creamy.
  • Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.

Once again wishing you all a very Happy 63rd Independence Day!

Luv,

59 comments:

  1. Parita, this looks very tasty! We have something similar, a distant cousin, called succotash, made with lima beans and corn. I love the idea of butter beans and peas together. I'm saving this to make as it's difficult to find new and delicious vegetable dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! Please forgive my bad manners. Happy Independence Day to you. It is my prayer that all people know freedom and equality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? you are so innovative. I am bookmarking it Parita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Independence Day to you too. Love the butter bean creation. Have always had it in curries. Will try it this way soo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy independence day to you. ;-) I don't think I've had butter beans before, but I do love green peas. Yum yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Independence day to you too. Lovely dish, the butter beans & peas with cream wow what a lovely combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Independence Day! Oo! The dish looks really buttery and creamy! Love your signature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great combo. Vaal has always been my favorite.
    Wish all the Indians a happy Independence day. We also celebrated the day with the Flag hoisted in the complex, and we all love watching the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love butter beans but never tried this type of gravy with it...surely looks easy and delicious...will try it next time...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Independence Day! :) This dish is beautiful and it looks like a great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Independence Day! This looks like a yummy way to get your veggies in :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. liked your write up very much. Reminds me of my school days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great vegetable dish. I like both peas and butter beans, but haven't tried to make them together.

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Independence Day Parita! That recipes looks so lovely and healthy too :D I just happen to be crazy about peas and butter beans hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great dish Parita..happy independence day yaar!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't tried these beans yet,sounds tasty with cream

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oops..Happy independence day dear...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delicious..:)

    Belated Independence day wishes..:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely looking dish you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love butter beans and have forgotten about them lately - thanks for a nice recipe to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beans are not really my thing, but this dish looks really very good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So lovely and easy. I'm a big fan of butter beans. It looks especially pretty on that delicate, glass plate.

    Thanks, Parita, for your great MLLA recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Independence day Parita.. I never tried butter beans with peas before, will try soon.. Yummmy.........

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! I would love to taste this, butter beans and peas in there too - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Delicious & awesome recipe.. looks perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shockingly I completely forgot about Independence day until I read your entry :( I normally make tri-ranga rice and wear my patriotic saree. Happy Independence day too you too. I like this dish, I normally make them in a normal curry or add them to soup. So will have to try this one out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Belated Independence Day Parita! These butter beans look so delicious! My Dad is always asking me why I don't cook them - he would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy independence day Parita! How have u been?
    Yummy post ! nutritious too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the simple recipe. Often they're the best! :) Happy Independance day, Parita!

    ReplyDelete
  30. HAppy Independence day!!! What a lovely dish to celebrate! I've never tried lima beans before, but they look so creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, I am sure my 4-yr-old Ana would like this - she has become a fusspot of late, but beans have always been her favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. hai Pari dear...... :) first snap is really amazing... :)how are you..sorry for the delay in comments.. :) i was off from blogging for a long time.. :)..den dis fst snap is really amazing.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is an interesting combination. It looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I got these lovely beans but didnt know how to make it into a tasty curry!..Will def try this with the reamining ones, soon :)
    Good recipe, parita..

    ReplyDelete
  35. happy I day to all...
    the recipe seems quick n easy and tasty too......i love all kind of beans.

    ReplyDelete
  36. woo this looks healthy and good..

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice one...great recipes... plz collect your Awards from my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh this looks so delicious, a most perfect dish! Happy holiday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy Independence day to you as well Parita...

    What a healthy dish there with butter beans...looks real yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  40. hey pari i love the idea of using butter beans and peas.. yummm!! dish looks heavenly tasty :) happy independence day!
    cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hey Pari.....lovely dish nd i tried ur scones it really came tasty...:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy Independence Day! You have made one of my favorite beans, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Happy Independence Day Parita!!!
    Healthy and a nutritious dish.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Simplicity is the key. Lovely healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Parita,

    Thank you so much for stopping by & for your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love butterbeans for its creaminess. Looks like a yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Happy Independence Day to you! What a delicious dish to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Pari, looks yummy :) I like all ur recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I too used to watch the parade when i was in school. :-)
    the recipe is too good..bookmarking it.. iahve never seen such huge butter beans. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am late, but Happy Independence Day!

    Your dish looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. wow different combination and looks so creamy interesting recipe dear.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Yes, the Walkers digestives are new, and quite nice. And buttery too :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Simple and delicious buttery beans,I'd love these for snacking.Belated Happy I-day :D

    ReplyDelete
  54. love the look of the dish.....
    Hey, i got the same bowl.....i use it for salads mainly.....
    And ya, u have an award waiting for u at my blog....pls accept it..u deserve it...

    ReplyDelete
  55. Lovely recipe. the pics look so tempting dear. I really hate blogger bug for now showing me an update. :(

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my kitchen. Please feel free to pen down your suggestions and comments. If you have any questions or queries please email me at paritasworld@gmail.com or leave a comment. I will try to answer it as soon as possible. Hope you enjoyed your visit here :)