Monday, August 31, 2009

Modak for Ganesh Chaturthi and Indian Cooking Challenge

Dear Foodies,


This is the first time i made modak at home for ganesh chaturthi and as you can see i wasnt very successful in my attempt. The only problem i faced was that i couldnt give them proper shapes, the dough was sticky and becoz of which it kept on tearing in between. Even though the shapes of modak were not proper i did go ahead and served them to lord ganesha after all what matters is your honesty, sincerity and your undying faith. The recipe followed was the same as mentioned by Srivalli on the ICC post. 
These are off to Indian Cooking Challenge by Srivalli and Janmashtami and Ganesh Chaturthi event by Purva and Priti

Modak from Mints
Ingredients Needed


For the Stuffing -
2 cups freshly grated coconut (she says you can use frozen unsweetened coconut)
1 cup jaggery (grated)
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp cardamom powder
one pinch nutmeg (optional)
2 tbsp water (i used rose water)


For the outer layer or Cover -
1 cup rice flour
1.25 cup water
pinch of salt
1 tbsp oil
Procedure for Stuffing:
  • Roast the poppy seeds in a small skillet and let it cool down. Grind it coarsely and keep it aside. If you have roasted poppy seeds, its fantastic no hassles!
  • In a heavy bottom kadai, take the grated jaggary, add 2 tbsp of water and melt to liquid. Sieve to remove impurities if any.
  •  Then add the liquid back to the kadai and add the grated coconut. Keep stirring so that it does get burnt in the bottom.
  •  In about 5 -7 mins you will see the mixture getting solid, at this stage add the cardamom and nutmug powder if you are using it.
  • When you see the mixture turning yellowish, more like golden and sticking to the sides, you can turn off the flame add the poppy seeds powder, mix well and set it aside to cool down. 
Procedure for outer cover :
  • Take a thick bottomed vessel with a lid. Start boiling water in that vessel, add salt and oil.
  • When water starts boiling, lower the heat and slowly add rice flour. Please do not dump all the flour at once.
  • As you add, start mixing vigorously with a ladle. Once all the flour is done, keep mixing well till you see a smooth well mixed mixture.
  • Now close the lid and take the pot off the heat. Let the covered pot cool down for 15 minutes or so. Then using a ladle, mix the dough properly. If you want to mix with your hands, you can dip your hands in water and quickly mix the dough. But ensure you don't use too much water.
  • Mints suggests 1-2 tbsp of All purpose flour to be added to get the dough a bit more sticky. But I just went ahead with just rice flour.
Making the Modak:
  • For making the Modak divide the dough into 20 balls and the stuffing into equal size of 20 balls. You can use those Garlic shaped mould or else in your palm you can press them and gather them together as a tear shaped.
  • I used the modak moulds you get, grease the molds with oil. Then close the mold, stuff one ball into it and press it against the shape evenly making a hold in middle. Then take the suffing, press it into the hold in the middle, close the opening with extra dough and press tightly to ensure its all sealed well. Continue with the rest until you are done with all.
  • Even in this you may have extra dough in the tip, which after steaming can get hard. So you can remove the excess before steaming. Retain just enough to form the shape.
  • If you don't have the molds, you can make these easily in your palms. Take one outer ball, gently press in the middle getting it in shape of bowl, with the sides being thinner than the center, fill with stuffing, gather the sides towards the center, seal well and continue making till you are done
  •  I used my idly cooker to steam the Modak. Grease the plates with oil and place the Modak over it. Just as you do the regular Idli steaming, fill the bottom with water and put it on the stove.
  • This takes about 15 - 20 mins to get cooked. Take the steamer off the vessel and let it sit for 5 minutes before removing Modak from steamer.

66 comments:

  1. You are better than me, i was scared to make modak,as i never did before,so i opted for other recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,I so agree with you Pari..what matters is the devotion and the sincerity with which you make the prasadam!!As I mentioned in my post,every year,something or the other happens and I never get the shape right.This year,however,I have managed pretty okay.I think we can use the modak mould which would make the spreading easy..what say??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Said very correctly. It is after all we who are finally eating these! The texture depends on the quality of rice . See mine with cracks too.I have been doing this for the past so many years and there are elations and lows, does it make you feel better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It happens man, no need to worry! Be happy! It depends on the quality of rice and practice. The modaks came out nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its happens to everyone Parita..watever i think u would have enjoyed having those delicious modaks..I used modak moulds to make out my modaks,purchase any modak moulds when u to India next time Parita, thats a best and better way to make out modaks..

    ReplyDelete
  6. at last only the taste matters. I too will not get it right shaped ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont get my modak's in shape...yours is better, love your stuffing, it should have tasted great!

    I have An AWARD for you. Kindly Check my blog.

    http://homecookreceipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards-and-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those modaks are perfect Parita! Don't worry ... you will get the shape with a little practice. :-)
    I think if you wet your hands with water it will be easier to handle the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its ok dear , at least you tried to make them at home ... Make again & I am sure next time the shape will be perfect .
    & oh nice template , I liked it ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours looks yummy! Forget the shape - I a sur ethey tasted great! Amazing energy to do both Baking and Indian cooking challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey buddy... it looks pretty good for the first try. And I sincerely appreciate your effort of doing it for the god even when you are alone. Hats off madam. you rock asusual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The filling looks drooling. Although the shape is not right but the honest effort is there. Ganesh ji will give you blessings. This was your first time. After many more modak making on chaturthis, you will start giving them right shapes. After all practice makes the women perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you have atleast tried making them, to me ..it has come out very good, even sugar candies served with love, faith to Lord is always accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow ..this is just like our kozukkatta,but v dont add poppy seeds..yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats a very sweet gesture dear. I have made the rice Ukad for the first time, There are a few tips my granny had passed me and I had seen on tv
    1. quality of rice matters
    2. It's better to take less water than having more water.Water can be added if required while kneading.
    3. Replace water by 2-3 tbsp
    milk while cooking the dough that makes the dough very soft.

    4. The steam should be properly formed during the cooking.
    5. After cooling the dough knead it with the hand of water and oil for about 10 mins. That helps.

    I hope these tips will help you, even I have to master this art as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know nothing about these but I think they look delicious. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know about modak, but it looks very much like a steamed filled bun and it looks very yummy.

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think those modaks looks good dear :)...I too didnt have a good time trying these stuffed modaks...I have tried making that since :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Modak looks perfect parita! I don't get the right shape,as i don't use moulds. Looks great da!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't worry Parita... they have come really perfect for the first try/attempt... it is just a matter of taste only :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never made these steamed modaks but have helped a friend make it. They are tuff to master and I think you did pretty good for a novice. Ganpati bappa will be happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Practise makes perfect, I am sure the next time it would turn out better

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never had this, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look perfect pari! dont worry. I am sure they would have tasted gr8. Its the thought of making it matters. Lord Ganesh would have enjoyed your neivedyam. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look scrumptious, love the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  26. As everybody said, taste matters...hope it tasted gr8 parita !!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks really good. But at the end of it, t about the taste. I'm sure they tasted great. They remind me of little steamed dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm sure it was delicious despite your "unsuccessful" attempt...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  29. it's good for the first time...even people who have been making it for years don't get it perfect sometimes.....i love this and want to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely modaks... i also had prob making shape as this is my first time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. before marriage, all i did was to watch my mom make it.. only now i am making them.. still not perfect.. this totally fine for the first attempt.. and god only needs sincere love.. good work

    ReplyDelete
  32. I had never seen this before... I even had to look up what jaggery was :P Looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Don't worry paritha......u modak looks perfect ..same thing happened to me last year ....but i prepared the outer cover in a chinese riceflour (without knowing i bought that)it came out very bad ,very sticky ...i felt very bad ...but i put everything to god & kept the modak in front of him.....so don't feel yaar ....ur 1st try is very nice....

    ReplyDelete
  34. They still look delicious and isn't that what really counts in the end?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Modak looks delicious Parita...slurrp..

    ReplyDelete
  36. they look nice for a first attempt girl...

    ReplyDelete
  37. such a lovely blog..so neat and lucid..

    ReplyDelete
  38. i got the how-to this time from amma, will try soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. they look perfect and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love Modaks, I made them last year....they look perfect...

    Thank you for the delicious entry for the event

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have neevr tried making this .. shall probably make it next time

    ReplyDelete
  42. At least you tried to make them. I am sure next time they will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Atleast u tried them......i never made them too. thts gr8 nd its all about devotion wht matters.....

    ReplyDelete
  44. Try kneading the dough. I use the following propotions.
    2 cups rice flour
    3 cups water. This proportion will always work. As said by many..., rice flour matters a lot. Rice flour made from raw rice works best for this :)
    Dont worry.., you'll make it better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and support, I m sure by next yr i'll do better :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. nice modak dear don't worry you made them perfect for first time.devotion is importent not shape naa I am sure by next year you will make better modak s. don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hello Parita!
    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog =D
    Yes, maybe I has been too quick =P But I baked the crackers and did the photos two days ago (because I needed them for the logo). I just couldn't resist =P Also, it was my first food related post in weeks, he he...I needed a recipe! xD

    Your modak looks a little bit like "pelmenis", Russian raviolis. But the ingredients are very different, of course =)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Perfect Modaks Parita, looks delicious.......

    ReplyDelete
  49. They look so tasty... I've never tried them before!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sounds delicious, and I'm sure it'll be perfect next time!

    ReplyDelete
  51. These still look really good even if they didn't turn out as you hoped! The filling sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I LOVE the sound of this delicacy! Coconut, freshly grated! And rice flour for the outside...how delicate and ultra-delish it must be!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Real Yummy!Love the brown and white contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  54. This looks great..I guess it's a tough dish to make...well, hopefully, I'll take an inspiration from you and try this some time.:)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Modak looks good. I made them last year. I did not try this year.It is tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Parita collect your award at http://padmasrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/09/neer-dosasweet-filling.html

    ReplyDelete
  57. I can imagine how sticky the dough was. I think you did a great job! They remind me of the steamed buns that are served at Chinese dim sum.

    ReplyDelete
  58. looks pretty good Parita, & practice makes perfect doesn't it? it was only your first time. after all it is the taste that matters, not how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Who can resist this lovely little treats? looks soo yum

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my kitchen. Please feel free to pen down your suggestions and comments. If you have any questions or queries please email me at paritasworld@gmail.com or leave a comment. I will try to answer it as soon as possible. Hope you enjoyed your visit here :)