Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Eggless Date and Walnut Cake/Loaf ...Low Fat and Healthy!!!

Dear All,

Eggless Baking,Date and Walnut Cake,Eggless Date Cake,Eggless Date and Walnut Cake,Tea time cake

The moment I think about dates (khajoor) the first thing that comes to my mind is Pani Puri and the second is this Date and Walnut Cake. This cake is not light but quite dense , not too sweet and perfect combination with some tea or coffee. This recipe is inspired from Eggless Date Cake which I had bookmarked ages ago from Shilpa's site, this cake has almost 100% success rates and by the popularity of this cake I had to try it soon. The adventure began when I saw a packet of seedless dates in my fridge. Being Anaemic I was advised to have black dates regularly due the high iron content in them. I have dates as a meal filler in between my meals, they are extremely rich and fulfilling, so next time you have craving to have something sweet go and buy yourself a packet of dates!  Lets stay healthy!

Eggless Baking,Date and Walnut Cake,Eggless Date Cake,Eggless Date and Walnut Cake,Tea time cake
Original Recipe Source: Shilpa from Aayi's Recipes
Ingredients:
25-26 seedless dates
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar (You can increase/reduce depending upon the sweetness of your dates)
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
3 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/4 cups of finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup of finely chopped dates

Procedure:-

  • Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C, grease and flour a loaf tin.
  • Soak dates in warm milk for about half an hour until they become little soft and mushy to touch
  • Add sugar and grind them into smooth paste along with the milk in which the dates were soaked.
  • Add oil and mix. 
  • Sieve the flour and baking soda together. 
  • Add flour one tablespoon at a time and mix well after each addition.
  • Add the finely chopped walnuts and dates and mix well.
  • Grate few walnuts on top of the cake and bake it for 40 to 45 mins until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.

Eggless Baking,Date and Walnut Cake,Eggless Date Cake,Eggless Date and Walnut Cake,Tea time cake

Verdict? The cake is quite dense in nature due the dates puree used, the texture i got was quite fudgy in nature! The color of the cake highly depends upon the type of the dates you have used and varies accordingly. So if you cake is darker in color than donot worry , it does not mean the cake was burnt :)
For best result always use fresh dates and seedless ones which will speed up the process of baking as well. You can also use all whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour to make it even more healthy! Hope you enjoyed this cake. Until next time, take care!


51 comments:

  1. Parita,

    Eggless cake date and walnut cake loaf looks yummy. I haven;t had not much luck with eggless ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks absolutely beautiful. A few slices for a wholesome breakfast or with a cuppa in the evening! I should start baking with dates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful wholesome bread..absolutely gorgeous!!! That too without egg and low fat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the use of dates in a cake. I had bought a few which I used to make a yummy chutney with tamarind - this cake would be the perfect way to use it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely lovely! A great tea-time cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does look like a good cake. A warm slice with coffee would be real good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really healthy. Love lot fat cake recipes. Will try this for sure.... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yum,I am also going to try this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Low fat sure to try this....but wish I cud see the slice of the cake :) Looks absolute yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. cake looks professional..nice picture

    ReplyDelete
  11. eggless cake loaf really delicious and perfectly done.. good one

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, dates are delicious and healthy too. this loaf is a great way to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious dear...your are now pro in baking too :)...I did tried your tutty fruity cake twice but unable to post it :(...will make again n post dear...thanks for the wonderful recipes

    ReplyDelete
  14. yeah even i have bookmarked this recipe long before but never attempted it,, I am that lazy :) ... urs look so perfect and added taste with walnuts .. sure will give a try

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love dates. Shall try it soon. Can imagine the flavors of dates in the baked cake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is one cake which the entire blogosphere has tried..this is one awesome cake and best I have had..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds yumm!! I love dates and will try this..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cake looks perfect and that too eggless !!!
    I have never used dates in a cake. Will try soon

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  19. cake is too tempting...loos perfect

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are on a baking spree Parita! Khajoor cake sounds wonderful! I love khajoor chikkis too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cake looks delicious...addition of date puree sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure its a nutritious healthy cake, this is perfect for a person like me:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. loos awesome parita ... havinf dates in it makes it healthy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the dense bread like this...great for the breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  25. lovely and healthy and also low in fat walnut cake.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Healthy and yummy... great pic parita...
    hope ur new workplace is treating u well!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. First time here... and I must say you have a wonderful blog full of interesting recipes.. Have bookmarked the cake recipe.. it looks so healthy and tasty :) do drop in at my space sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this healthy cake..sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ymm that looks temting and the fact that its low on fat makes it even better :)
    Dates are a house of enegy!
    Loved your blog!!Its droolingly amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Parita, I had bookmarked this cake ages back and I 'm still to try this. Looks delicious dear.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Eggless cake date and walnut cake loaf looks yum. Nice to see another eggless recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just made an eggless banana bread and this is next on my to do list

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is indeed a healthy loaf with all the goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am bookmarking this recipe Pari.. Cake looks super delicious with dates.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love date-walnut cakes!! Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ah! this is quite the popular cake with 100% accuracy. Next time around i will snack on dates when i get that sweet craving.

    ReplyDelete
  37. beautiful and healthy loaf of cake. setting the craving already.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very healthy indeed and surely delicious! Soon I will post my approximative (I just improvise a lot) ratatouille recipe in my comment section...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have not tried dates in bakes till now...but seems a real good option, looks wonderful parita...very nicely done ...

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love dates, and this sounds fantastic with the whole wheat flour and walnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Paritha,

    I tried this Dates Loaf today, it turned out fantastic. Yummy :))

    Like to share my joy and my experience in my blog http://preethibhojan.blogspot.com/

    Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the recipe, Parita! I was desperately looking for one sans egg and this was perfect! I cut the oil down to 2 tbsps to keep it healthier.. and toasted the walnuts first to prevent a raw taste. Going to enjoy it with a glass of warm milk now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. This sounds delicious! I also make a date nut "brownie" made with graham crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just made it now and finished baking. But thought it would become like cake. Instead of sugar, I've used dermerara sugar. It turned out to be a fudge as you mentioned. On top of it I've got Microwave convection.

    ReplyDelete
  45. No, Date n Walnut cake was absolutely superb. Fortunately everyone liked it and it got over within 2 days. YIPPEEEEE. Will post a pic of it. My wife already cut the cake while I was out. She did not realise that I wanted to take pics of it. Hats off to you Parita.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my kitchen. Please feel free to pen down your suggestions and comments. If you have any questions or queries please email me at paritasworld@gmail.com or leave a comment. I will try to answer it as soon as possible. Hope you enjoyed your visit here :)