Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry) for T&T

Chana Masala Recipe
Chickpeas are one of my favorite. Fully loaded with proteins chickpeas are very versatile too. You can create lots of dishes right from snacks, rice, curries, soups, dips and even salads. So when i saw this delicious Chana Masala on HookedOnHeat which is the blog featuring on Tried and Tasted event for this month i couldnt resist my self and recreated this dish. I must say Meena has wonderful collection of indian dishes, few of them which i had forgotten and reminded me of old memories. There are so many dishes which i have bookmarked and cant wait to try. I just heard that Meena is writing a cookbook which will be out in 2010. I wish Meena all the very best for the book! Now for the recipe, I have simply followed meena's version as i very much prepare it in the similar way, the only change i made was to puree tomatoes and onions together and i also doubled the recipe. Sending this to Tried & Tasted : Hooked On Heat event guest hosted by Kits Chow, originally started by Zlamushka. Also sending this to My Legume Love Affair MLLA:12 guest hosted at Annarasa this month, mastermind of Susan.
Pooja and Nithya both have passed "One Lovely Blog Award" to me, thank you so much gals, I love your blog too :) Passing this award to just 10 pals is difficult and not fair as i love all my pals blogs...so I am passing this award to all of them who are following me, check out my side bar for the same, please do accept the award gals and spread the love!!
Chole Recipe Ingredients: 2 cups chickpeas soaked overnight and cooked 2 large onions quatered 2 large tomatoes quatered 2 green chillies 1 tsp ginger paste 1 tsp cumin seeds 1 tsp red chilli powder 1 tsp coriander powder 1 tsp turmeric powder 1 tsp cumin powder 1 tsp chana masala powder 1/2 tsp garam masala Salt to taste 1 tbsp oil Onion rings and coriander leaves to garnish
Homemade Chana Masala Procedure:
  • Puree the tomatoes, onions and green chillies together in a blender until smooth.
  • Heat oil, add in cumin seeds, as soon as the seeds start to splutter add in ginger paste and cook for few seconds.
  • Add in the tomato and onion paste and all the masalas and little water, cover and cook for 7 to 8 mins until raw smell of onions disappears.
  • Now add in the cooked chickpeas, cover and again cook the curry for 5 to 8 mins until thick enough.
  • Garnish with sliced onions and coriander leaves, serve hot with bhatura or puris.

61 comments:

  1. hey parita i'm making chole poori for dinner ! love your channa masala... ! its okay dear reg the award ! many congrats to u ! u have a lovely blog..just now saw the photo..it was taken in the metro right...in Switzerland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous dish!! Chickpeas are one of my very favorites too - thank you for the beautiful chickpea recipe!

    Thank you for your question about tarragon! Tarragon is a grassy-looking herb native to most of Europe, and most commonly grown in France, although it's popular in Russian cooking also! It smells a little like anise, and is delicious fresh or dried... I usually put it in vegetable soups and chicken or tofu dishes. I've read that it's a little tricky to grow, so I haven't planted it yet, but when I do I'll keep you posted! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a dish I really enjoy eating! I'm addicted to spices and chickpeas, so how could I resist gobbling Chana Massala?

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks gorgeous! Now you have made me hungry too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And congrats on the award dear! You do have a lovely blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thatssss a lovely click!!
    Just looks yummy!!
    And congrats a tone for the award!
    You really have a nice blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your award :) Channa masala is my favorite...I make it at least once a week...yours looks very delicious. I have to try your version soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Puri Chole the best combo ever! Great recipe and an awesome pic.. Congrats on the award :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. same pinch ! I love chickpeas too..Right from just boiled-salted to all versatile dishes.

    Channa masala looks absolutely wonderful dear..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Channa Masala too, especially with puris; congratulations for the award, Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely channa masala! How I love to have with batura/poori. Oh the very thought of it makes me crave!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love chickpeas, so I am always happy to find another recipe that uses them! Thanks for sharing! Your pic is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chick peas too!

    I've roasted them, put them on salads and soups...so good!

    I love your recipe, it turned out great. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chickpeas are my favorite too. An excellent choice for T&T.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loos so delicious Parita... love to have with chapathis/pooris and congrats on ur award dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a lovely re-creation from the blog. looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely dish. Would love to have it right away, looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey chhole is my all time fav.....it's a weekly affair for us...anytime, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  19. very well done.the way the onion rings r kept is just perfec t,congrats on the award

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmm...it's been a while since I've had chickpeas. I love the stuff too. I bet they taste great with the curry. Saving this. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chenna sounds super yummy! i love this with Roti :)) I like the gravy consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious channa masala, goes prefect with rotis, congrats on ur award Parita!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow!congrats on ur awards ...lovely channa masala ..I am planing to make this for poori tommorrow .Morning ,,Thanks fr sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey parita i'm waiting for ur request :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this.. its almost everyones fav hah.. so u made us mouthwatering paritha.. color is perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  26. hey Parita...chana masala looks good.My fav one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't cook enough with chickpeas... would love to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. so tempting..i ake the quick version using canned chick peas :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. i loved the three onion rings :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. hey Pari!I made Pindi Chenna yesterday...may be we sent each other telepathy...looks awesome girl!

    ReplyDelete
  31. congrats on your award dear channa masal looks delicious and perfect choice from her blog nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yummy!Chole is definitely a crow-pleasing recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for dropping by and leaving behind some comments da...yeah, wat a coincidence tat v both ended up with the same dish :) gud tat u had the patience to present it so lovely..yummy dish n a gud presentation..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thats an easy recipe for Channa masala..my version is bit complicated..looks yumm.. will try this easy version next time..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely recipe, thnx for sharing the award! Congrats!!! Yr blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  36. parita ive never tried ne dish with chick pea. this curry sound amazing. chick pea is healthy for you and gives a lot of energy.. a must try.. thanx for sharing
    cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love chickpeas too and this looks so good with all the spices!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I too love channa coz its so healthy and tasty.Looks delicious.Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is one of my favorite dishes and also one of the dishes that I can't seem to get right no matter how many times I've tried. Will definitely try your version. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a healthy dish and so flavourful with the masala.

    ReplyDelete
  41. wowww.. looks very nice.. I love your chana masala.. nice click!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That bowl of chole looks absolutely mouthwatering - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is one of my fav Indian dishes! But I had no idea it contained so many different spices! Where can I find chana masala powder?

    ReplyDelete
  44. lovely channa masala & congrats for the awards.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Congrats on ur award dear..i'll try this channa for chappathi:)looks yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Looks great... this is my favorite dish...

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hooray for chickpeas! This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am really hooked to Meena's blog, & i never knew the existence till the T&T announcement. Chickpeas are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  49. i guess this is channa masala week!!! saw lots of recipes in fellow blogs....looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  50. Awesome and spicy looking chole Parita...lovely colour....love it with bhature or rice.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow ... chana masala looks so delicious & wonderful .... Perfect for dinner ....

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh wow my favourite...looks yum....

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your channa masala looks wonderful.

    I wish i could do it your way. Whenever i grind onions, they taste bitter. Any idea whats the reason? Doesn't that happen with you?

    ReplyDelete
  54. I totally agree, chickpeas are so fantastic. I'd eat them even if they weren't healthy as I love the taste and texture. What a lovely way to use them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Mmmmmm, chickpeas! Will most definitely need to try your channa masala recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Parita,

    lovely chickpea curry :-) - thanks for participating. I hope you are up for this month´s challenge too :-) Details on my Blog - left upper corner.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my kitchen. Please feel free to pen down your suggestions and comments. If you have any questions or queries please email me at paritasworld@gmail.com or leave a comment. I will try to answer it as soon as possible. Hope you enjoyed your visit here :)