Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rava Laddoos for Indian Cooking Challenge

Srivalli of Cooking4AllSeasons announced Indian Cooking Challenge where every month tried and tasted indian traditional recipe would be chosen and all the participants need to make the dish and post it on the same day, isnt it fun? I am very much excited about this monthly challenge, it would be my first ever food challenge and i am looking forward to learn many new dishes! This months theme is Rava Ladoo. Rava Ladoo is one of the most loved indian sweet, very easy to prepare and is loved by all age groups. We usually prepare Sheera with Rava/Semolina which has consistency of more like a pudding or halwa. I have followed Srivalli's recipe which you can see here. The only change i made was to add little kesar or saffron, whats an indian sweet without kesar? Even little bit of kesar gives wonderful aroma and taste which makes you crave more! The recipe yielded 10 laddoos of medium size. Sugar was little more for my taste, next time i'll only use little more than half. Thanks Srivalli for this wonderful challenge!
Ingredients: 1 cup Rava/Semolina/Cream of Wheat 1 cup sugar 25 ml ghee 25 ml milk 1/2 tsp cardamon powder 10 cashews 10 golden raisins 25 gm fresh grated coconut or desicated coconut few saffron strands (optional) Procedure:
  • Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a pan, when its hot fry the raisins and cashews. Once the raisins balloon up remove and keep them aside. Now roast the coconut in the same pan, when done remove and keep aside.
  • Add the remaining ghee and roast Rava till its well roasted and aroma starts coming out.
  • In a bowl, take all the roasted rava, nuts, coconut and add the cardamom powder. Then add the sugar. Mix well.
  • Soak the saffron strands in the warm milk for about 5 mins.
  • Then slowly add the warm milk into the bowl of rava mixture. Check if you are able to make balls. When you find that milk added is enough to get you round ladoos, transfer it back to the pan and cook in sim for 2 mins. Mix well and then cover it and let it rest for 2 mins. Then immediately make balls or laddoos.

48 comments:

  1. Wow Parita, it looks so yummy and moist .... perfect for the event ....and the way I like soft and moist...looks so tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Parita...It looks perfect..all teh best with the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. UMM.. ladoos looks round,moist and delicious. very tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used to put rava laddooos in the freezer and then play football with it in school :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...awesome photos dear...they look so tempting with the saffron strands on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woww Pari!!
    Those are looking yummy, tasty and soft!!!
    I want them :)

    Nice clicks as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW !!! Parita they look so yummy and colorful... this morning have been seeing lot of rawa laddoos ... tempting me to make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. these can melt in my mouth! Looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i missed the challenge ..no time to make laddood ...but looks so tempting..will surely make this soon..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Parita, loved the addition of saffron strands, laddooos looks tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like it is flooding rawa laddu in blogosphere.., all of them equally lovely. I loved the color of your rawa laddus Parita.

    ReplyDelete
  12. arghh..12 noon your blog is no good for me..I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh I just love these ladoos.....all time favourite!! Can I grab one?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rava Ladoo sound like such a delight! Perfect with saffron!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Picture is just perfect and tempts me so much. I love the way you added the saffron to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. priya has posted rava ladoos too.they look delicious..i cna smell the ghee right away.the first time I made rava ladoos , it was a complete disaster

    ReplyDelete
  17. The laddoos have come out perfect Parita! Loved the addition of saffron. Unfortunately I ran out of it at the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That ladoo looks so ravishing....very delicious..I liked the idea of adding saffron in it..

    ReplyDelete
  19. everyone is tempting me with these ladoos today... Great idea! well executed...

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmm delicious! Loved the idea of adding saffron.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so pretty, and they sound delicious with the saffron!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks good. Perfect afternoon snack. I like the addition of the saffron too. Delish!

    That the gifts arrived safely. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The kesar color make the laddoos look festive :) Can I get a parcel :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG!! im getting a sugar rush by seeing all the laddoos everywhere. Loved the addition of kesar.

    Btw, most of the times i need to refresh the page many times before your blog loads. Everything is there eacept for the main post. I dunno whether its just for me or for others too. Just letting you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely ladoos Parita. Love the way saffron strands stand out.
    Desi soccer mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun! Those biscuits look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cashews and coconut in these bites of loveliness sounds delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They look perfect, Parita! I also don't like my sweets too sweet. Must have been melt in your mouth yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi parita,
    The cooking challenge seems to have created some kind of a laddoo spirit everywhere :)! reading the recipe and seeing the amazing pics in umpteen blogs was tempting me to the core!! now now since I was in a should I / should'nt I?! mode... ...seeing ur preparation of rava laddo with saffron...I'd say 'Hojaye Laddo' ;)

    Enjoy!
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been seeing a lot of ladoos recently in the blogosphere and they sound amazing. Yours sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  31. yuumy ladoos today... loved urs with kesar dear.. excellent colour and flavouful..! nice idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fantastic, thankyou! I've tried making ladoos using a recipe I foud on the internet but they weren't very good. I was so disappointed as I love eating them :(

    ReplyDelete
  33. the laddoo is my hubby's fave......it looks nice with saffron ,,i like saffron.

    ReplyDelete
  34. ladoo looks delicious Parita, love the addition of saffron.

    Trupti
    Fashion Deals For Less

    ReplyDelete
  35. Adding saffron to the ladoo is yummy looking..

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love semolina and the saffron looks so enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks soo delicious and yummyy... lovely color and wonderful clicks !!

    ReplyDelete
  38. laddoo looks so soft and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Perfect looking laddoos, Parita..love your addition of saffron..next time, I'll add in mine, too

    ReplyDelete
  40. Too tempting Parita and adding saffron is just yummy

    ReplyDelete
  41. Rava ladoo looks just like perfect snow balls. I m drooling:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. thesee look really good. I ve always wished to try laddoo. must be so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ladoo looks so yummy.They look too good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Those look so good! I love that combination of ingredients!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my kitchen. Please feel free to pen down your suggestions and comments. If you have any questions or queries please email me at paritasworld@gmail.com or leave a comment. I will try to answer it as soon as possible. Hope you enjoyed your visit here :)