Monday, March 30, 2009

Ras Malai (Rose Flavoured)

Ras Malai, one of my favorite dessert, is made from paneer also known as Indian cottage cheese soaked in sugar syrup and served with milk flavoured with cardamon and saffron. Ras Malai is a kind of Bengali sweet, originated in the eastern part of India,mainly Bengal. Traditionally Ras Malai is prepared using cow's milk and flavoured with cardamon and saffron, In my recipe I have used Rose water for flavouring and red food color for giving them light pink color. These sweet dumplings are going to FIC Pink/Rose event hosted by Priya of Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes , you can find the details of the event here and to Harini of Tongue Ticklers, event details here.The below recipe yields about 24 Ras Malai of medium size.
Ingredients for Paneer dumplings :
2 litre full cream milk (I used 3.5% fat)
2 tbsp lime juice diluted in little water
Ingredients for Sugar syrup :
1 1/2 cups of sugar
4 cups of water
1 tsp cardamon seeds
2 - 3 tsp Rose Water or Rose essence
4 - 5 drops of red food color
Ingredients for Milk :
1 litre milk
1/2 cup sugar or according to your taste
1 tsp mixed dry fruits or masala milk powder
1 tsp rose essence or rose water for flavouring
3 - 4 red food color
Procedure :
  • Heat the milk for paneer in a non stick vessel. When it starts boiling, add lime water slowly and reduce the heat. Add lime water until the water and paneer are separated.
  • Immediately remove the paneer from heat and strain the paneer in muslin cloth or a strainer.
  • Put some cold water on the paneer, this will help to make the paneer soft.
  • Knead the paneer properly and make small dumplings as shown below in the image. I have prepared them in oval shape, you can give any other shape of your choice.
  • To make the sugar syrup, heat sugar, water, cardamon seeds and rose water together on high flame. When it starts boiling add 3 - 4 drops of red food color.  Now add the paneer dumplings few at a time. Make sure you have enough space for the dumplings to expand.
  • Cover the vessel and let it cook for around 7 to 10 mins on high heat.
  • The paneer dumplings will gain volume and increase double in size and will have soft pink color. Immediately remove the paneer balls and keep it aside disolved in little sugar syrup.
  • If you require dark color, you can add some more food color to the syrup.
  • Similary, follow the procedure for rest of the paneer dumplings.
  • In a seperate pan, heat the milk along with sugar, rose essence or rose water and masala milk powder, boil it till it reduces in quantity and becomes little thick. Reduce the heat and add red food color and gently add the paneer dumplings which we had made earlier one at a time. Simmer on slow heat for 5 mins.
  • Serve chilled, garnished with dry fruits

14 comments:

  1. Hi Parita..

    Thats a brilliant idea of using Food colour n rose water while making rasmalai, thanks a lot for ur entry..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. Rasmalai and rasagollas are the only two sweets of this type that I like.:)

    I can see you're new to food blogging and what you have posted so far looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Aparna for your wonderful comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hats off to you for makiong rasmalai. You are tempting me to try my hand at some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is time for you to look at having a site of your own. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey deeba, thanks a lot for stopping by, you are a big inspiration to me :)

    hey deepak, thanks, may be some day i'll have my own website :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Rasmalai really looks so great !!! Nice one .

    ReplyDelete
  8. theyy r sooo damm tempting..hmmmm yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummmy!! my fav sweet!!
    looks so yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just by looking at it, I can say it is super soft and tastes yummo! love the perfect lil' shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made the rasmalai paneer at home :O That paneer is more porous than the normal one, right? I used to eat small and pink rasagullas. These look pretty in pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi parita I am urvashi here do you remember me we met at Vileparle last week and u have told me about nice recepies at your site.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,Parita.I just found your blogsite.I am extremely happy about it.I wanted to know which milk did you use for the paneer(rasmalai),the tetra pack or the other ones which you get inplastic bags.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Shubha..thank you! I used full fat milk from tetra pack :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my kitchen. Please feel free to pen down your suggestions and comments. If you have any questions or queries please email me at paritasworld@gmail.com or leave a comment. I will try to answer it as soon as possible. Hope you enjoyed your visit here :)