I was introduced to Red Amaranth leaves recently and to my surprise I absolutely loved it! Though I have seen them in the market but never had tasted them before. I was always intrigued by the gorgeous pinkish purplish color of these leaves and they always looked very attractive to me, to an extent that I had requested my mom to get me a T of the same color ...lol :D Oh well the good old childhood days of innocence :)
Amaranth leaves are also known as Chinese Spinach. These are highly nutritious in nature and loaded with vitamins like A, B1, B2 and C, calcium, iron and potassium. These leaves are low in fat and helps in prevention of various disorders like Respiratory disorders, Retarded growth etc. For more information on health benefits check here and to know the detailed nutrient facts check here.
Just like all the other leafy vegetable these reduce to 1/4 when cooked. One bunch serves one to two persons.
Stir Fried Red Amaranth Leaves With Caramelized Onions
Ingredients:- Serves 2
2 bunches of fresh red amaranth leaves, washed and chopped finely
1 tsp oil
1 - 2 dry red chillies
Salt to taste
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves chopped
1 portion caramelized onion (recipe below)
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil, add in dry red chillies and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
- Now stir in the chopped red amaranth leaves and mix well. Add in salt to taste and mix well.
- Within few minutes the leaves will shrunk just like Spinach, cover and cook over low flame for 5 to 8 mins. Dont forget to stir in between.
- Finally add freshly chopped coriander and caramelized onions and mix well.
- Cover and cook for another 2 mins.
- Serve hot with rotis or parathas.
For Caramelized Onions:-
1 big red onion , thinly sliced
1 tsp oil
2 tsp brown sugar
- In heavy bottom pan heat the oil, add in finely sliced onions and saute for 2 mins.
- Add in brown sugar and saute the onions over low flame for another 3 to 4 mins until they get lightly browned.
- Your caramelized onions are ready!
Verdict? This dish is simplicity at its best! Simple and easy to cook, gets ready in under 15 mins and jam packed with healthy nutrients! I have already prepared this dish 2 times in the last week and everyone just loves it! Make sure you wash the leaves properly under running water for atleast 10 mins. Enjoy this sweet and spicy stir fry veggie with ghee rice or with parathas, anyway you do I am sure you will ask for more!
Have a wonderful week ahead!