Monday, May 18, 2009

Baked Spinach Koftas for Tried and Tasted & my FIRST award

As we all know Tried and Tasted for this month is being hosted by Vaishali of Holy Cow and the blog featuring is Susan's Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. To be honest I was not very familiar with her blog but as i started browsing i was simply amazed with the wonderful collection of vegan recipes she has from all around the world.  As said in my earlier post i have lots of spinach stocked in my pantry and hence, i was finding ways to use it other than making the regular curries out of it. I found this wonderful recipe of Baked Spinach Koftas on Susan's blog which i completely fell in love with. I followed susan's recipe but did make few changes. These are so healthy and fulfilling that i had them for dinner and also for next day's breakfast :) I covered the extra filling and kept in fridge overnight, just remove it 30 minutes before you want to bake them. If baked version is so delicious i cant wait to try the deep fried version :)
Sending these to Tried and Tasted Fatfree Vegan Kitchen event guest hosted by Vaishali of Holy Cow, mastermind of Zlamushka and to SWC-Cooking with greens event guest hosted by Sowmya, started by Laxmi
 
Now the most important part...I got my first blog AWARD....yippeeee...I couldnt believe when Lena and Padma both passed "I Love your Blog" award to me. Thank you so much gals :) To be frank I never really thought I would get any awards and this was such a nice surprise :) I must say that this would really not have been possible without the love and support of all my blog pals, I have learnt so much in my last 2 months of blogging experience. We do ROCK gals :)
This award comes with bunch of rules:
  • Add the logo of the award to your blog.
  • Add a link to the person who awarded it to you.
  • Nominate atleast 7 other blogs (Only if you like).
  • Add links to those blogs on your blog.
  • Leave a message for your nominees on their blog.
, Yasmeen, Pratibha, Nags, Gita, Lisa, Jeena, EC, Deeba, Aparna, Renuka, Mahimaa, Suparna, Madhuram, Sowmya, and Vrinda Please accept the award gals and happy blogging !!!
Well now for the recipe for baked spinach koftas :) From the below recipe i got around 25 medium sized koftas.
Ingredients:
250 gms tofu
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
2-3 green chillies
2 bunches of spring onions
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp chickpea flour or besan
1 tsp oil
Salt to taste
Procedure:
  • Blanch the spinach in hot water till it becomes tender.
  • Grind together tofu, blanched spinach and green chillies in mixer until crumbly. DONOT add water and make a paste out of it.
  • Add the boiled and mashed potatoes in the tofu-spinach mixture and mix well.
  • In a pan, heat oil , add in cumin seeds and ginger paste, as seeds starts to splutter add in chopped spring onions and cook for about 2 mins
  • Now add in garam masala, salt, sugar, lime juice and potato-spinach-tofu mixture and mix well. Cook for about 5 mins.
  • Remove from heat and add the chickpea flour and mix well. 
  • Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. Make small round balls of the mixture and bake it for 10 minutes, flip around and again bake it for 10 mins until light brown.
  • Serve with hot and spicy chutney or sauce.

48 comments:

  1. Congrats dear... u sure deserve it :) and so nice of you to share it with me... feeling great :)
    Your palak koftas look great... loved both the shapes and liked the idea of adding tofu to make it more healthier and also baking them ... good work..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Parita........congrats on ur first award dear and thanks for thinking about me!And ur koftas surely look yummm, i'm going to try them soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Koftas are one of my favorite treats. Wonderful creation. And thank you for the award sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dish looks yumm..Congrats on ur first award.Thanks for sharing with me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy dish. Congrats for your award, so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy dish. Congrats for your award, so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the baked version - the tofu must've given it a good texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Parita,
    Congratulations! on the award girlie :) wishing you many many more to come ...Thanks for sharing it with me that was very sweet of u.
    Hmmm...there there...u caught my attention with a deadly combination of tofu and spinach...It's quite interesting to know that fried dishes have found a healthy alternative....shall make it during this week, thanks for sharing the recipe and a lovely award.I love ur blog too :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the award Parita! Keep going! The koftas look yummy..and baked, that makes it a healthy and nutritious snack! And thanks a lot for sharing the award with me. I love your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your award Parita! U deserve it Dear! Thanks for sharing with me...Healthy and fatless Kofta! I love spinach. It is easy to handle and cook.Thanks dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats for your first award. Making spinach kofta is such a great idea. I have never heard of these before but I am sure they tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your award dear, Enjoy. Koftas look delicious. Nice healthy snack

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your award. Koftas look great. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. parita congrats on your first award dear and thanks a lot for sharing with me. Koftas are looking so lovely and i always like to try tofu everytime so i gonna try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow Parita, those fat free spinach kofts are so temtping they are looking very cute too!!! Congrats on your award dear and thanks for sharing it with me and congrats to the others too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on ur first award Parita! fat free spinach koftas looks so tempting and looking very prefect...Thanks for sharing ur award with us,am very much honoured:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spinach koftas look excellent! Congrats on your first award!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i've tried this and i can vouch for how good it is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. congrats on ur 1st award and thanks for sharing with me Parita...Keep up the good work.Kofta with spinach and tofu looks great and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow.. low fat koftas. looks yummy. thanks for passing the award parita, i love you blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your award dear and thank you veyr much for passing it to me :) I am honored...The koftas look super delicious...nice way of including tofu and spinach in diet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on ur award.. ..wow.. spinach looks really delicious.. yummy recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't get healthier than this,koftas look very appealing ,Parita.Thanks so for adding me among your loving blogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for the award Partia :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pari....this looks awesome..send it to me... :)
    Congrads on ur award and thaks for sending it to me.. u deserve more dear... :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those heart shaped koftas look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. congrats on your award, those koftas looks super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on ur first award and iam sure u'll get more n more..spinach koftas r new to me..looks great:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on ur first award parita..Thanks for sharing with me gal....so sweet of u lol...
    n coming to the koftas, they look perfect and loved the addition of Tofu to it...baking those is a very healthy alternative gal..

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on your first award and koftas looks so yum very helthy and nice color too

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow,,they look so delicious..they sound too good with the tofu...Thanks for sending this over to SWC greens.
    And thanks a lot for the award too..Love your blog too..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Parita, Congrats on your first award wishing u many more and thanks for sharing it dear

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you everyone for wonderful words and encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats for the award , Parita !!! Hope you get many more in future :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on ur first award and the spinach koftas looks perfect and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats on your first award my dear...the first one is always a very special one. Thanks a million for thinking of me Parita...I feel very humbled that you included me in your list! Those spinach koftas look very very YUM! Posted a vegetarian dessert/crumble today & thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. healthy koftha..congrats on ur award...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely koftas Parita and thank you so much for the award it is so knid of you to think of me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. spinach koftas look delicious, have come out perfect too; never tried them baking; will do that next time;
    I came here through Padma's (saw these koftas in her links, greedy me:), got a lovely big set of recipes here:) keep up the great work!
    your shrikand looks yummmm too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. The Koftas are a great creation. Would make lovely appetizers. i need to look thru her blog more..

    & Thank you:-D

    ReplyDelete
  41. congrats parita you deserve it..Thanks for thinking of me so nice of you......Those koftas are looking great...

    ReplyDelete
  42. congratulations for your first award!! very nice healthy recipe :))

    ReplyDelete
  43. The koftas look so good Parita. I'm also going to try them. Thank you very much for sharing your award with me.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm glad you liked Susuan's blog. She has some awesome recipes there.
    Congrats on the award and thanks for thinking of me to pass it on to.
    Sorry I took so long to acknowledge it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks Parita, enjoy your award as well. Catching up today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Parita,

    Thanks for participating T&T event. I hope you ll get a chance to come up with something delish for T&T Jue as well, the Blog of The Month is Meena of Hooked on Heat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Parita! We have commented on the same articles on IMBB :)
    I loved your Baked Spinach Koftas recipe. M yet to see other recipes.
    I also own a blog on Nutrition - http://healthizenblog.blogspot.in
    Hope that makes a good read for you, Just like I enjoyed reading your blog.
    Good Luck for your blog!
    Regards
    Nidhi

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my kitchen. Please feel free to pen down your suggestions and comments. If you have any questions or queries please email me at paritasworld@gmail.com or leave a comment. I will try to answer it as soon as possible. Hope you enjoyed your visit here :)