Kadhi its a very special dish for me as its my favorite and my mom's best dish, although i love all dishes she prepares :) Kadhi has rich and creamy consistency along with sweet and sour taste. Kadhi is best served with hot mildly spiced khichdi drizzled with lots of ghee :) You can add different veggies too.....my mom's specialty is adding grated potatoes which i have skipped here.
I have prepared this kadhi using the traditional way which my mom and aunts used to prepare. My mom is originally from Porbandar which is a small city in Saurashtra now part of Gujarat. Porbandar is well known as Mahatma Gandhi's birth place. During our summer vacations back in school we always used to visit my masi (mom's elder sis) who lives in porbandar. We all children used to gather and have so much of fun, playing cards and having ice golas were the most important part of our day to day activites :) Porbandar being on the sea side is always very cooler even during summer, evenings are pleasant and nights are cold. During these nights we used to enjoy having hot khichdi kadhi along with onions and buttermilk. Simple and satisfying meal after playing so hard the whole day :) Sending this dish to Village Special Recipes event hosted by Shama and to Festive Food : Summer Treat event by Priti.
1 cup yogurt
3 tbsp besan or chickpea flour
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 green chillies chopped finely or sliced in middle
1 tsp grated ginger(I used ginger paste)
1 tsp sugar or small piece of jaggery(I used jaggery)
3 cups of water
1 tsp oil
1 tsp ghee
2 whole dry red chillies
1 generous pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
7-8 curry leaves
1 small piece of cinnamon
4-5 whole cloves
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Mix together curd, besan, salt, turmeric, ginger, jaggery and water in a bowl.
- Using a hand blender mix it well.
- Heat the kadhi on medium heat until it comes to simmer, boil it for 2 to 3 mins.
- For tempering in a seperate vessel, heat oil and ghee, when hot add in cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies, asafoetida, cloves, cinnamon and curry leaves.
- As soon as the seeds start to splutter and you get a nice aroma add these to the kadhi mixture.
- Cook the kadhi on medium heat for about 5 to 8 mins.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with khichdi
This dish is off to Flavors Of Gujarat an event by Nayna