Srivalli of Cooking4AllSeasons announced Indian Cooking Challenge where every month tried and tasted indian traditional recipe would be chosen and all the participants need to make the dish and post it on the same day, isnt it fun? I am very much excited about this monthly challenge, it would be my first ever food challenge and i am looking forward to learn many new dishes! This months theme is Rava Ladoo. Rava Ladoo is one of the most loved indian sweet, very easy to prepare and is loved by all age groups. We usually prepare Sheera with Rava/Semolina which has consistency of more like a pudding or halwa. I have followed Srivalli's recipe which you can see here. The only change i made was to add little kesar or saffron, whats an indian sweet without kesar? Even little bit of kesar gives wonderful aroma and taste which makes you crave more! The recipe yielded 10 laddoos of medium size. Sugar was little more for my taste, next time i'll only use little more than half. Thanks Srivalli for this wonderful challenge!Ingredients: 1 cup Rava/Semolina/Cream of Wheat 1 cup sugar 25 ml ghee 25 ml milk 1/2 tsp cardamon powder 10 cashews 10 golden raisins 25 gm fresh grated coconut or desicated coconut few saffron strands (optional) Procedure:
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a pan, when its hot fry the raisins and cashews. Once the raisins balloon up remove and keep them aside. Now roast the coconut in the same pan, when done remove and keep aside.
- Add the remaining ghee and roast Rava till its well roasted and aroma starts coming out.
- In a bowl, take all the roasted rava, nuts, coconut and add the cardamom powder. Then add the sugar. Mix well.
- Soak the saffron strands in the warm milk for about 5 mins.
- Then slowly add the warm milk into the bowl of rava mixture. Check if you are able to make balls. When you find that milk added is enough to get you round ladoos, transfer it back to the pan and cook in sim for 2 mins. Mix well and then cover it and let it rest for 2 mins. Then immediately make balls or laddoos.