- Wash the rice and green gram together, keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil add cumin seeds, elaichi, black peppers, cinnamon, dry red chillies, bay leaf, star anise, cloves and asafoetida.
- When cumin seeds start spluttering, add in peanuts and saute for about 2 mins.
- Now add in onions, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Saute the mixture for about 5 mins.
- Add the rice and green gram along with 2 1/2 cups of water. Pressure cook on medium for about 3 to 4 whistles or until cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with curd.
The best part about this dish is that you can eat it just as it is without any side dish, its a whole meal in itself. I like mine with pickle and curd.
Variations: You can also add in some veggies like carrots, green peas cauliflower etc to give it a healthier touch.