When Tried and Tasted event was announced by Aparna, I wasnt familiar with Lisa's blog. Once i started to browse her blog i really got hooked on to it, she has wonderful collection of vegetarian recipes. I love the different combination of veggies and pulses she uses in her daily cooking. I have already bookmarked many of her wonderful dishes which i would love to try. For this event i tried her Cabbage in crumbly Chana Dal Sauce. The original recipe can be found here.
I have followed Lisa's recipe exactly with just one change where i have also added chopped onions to the curry. I absolutely loved this dish, it goes very well with plain rice or roti. Chana dal along with mild spices gives lovely taste, not too spicy just perfect :) My dish turned out to be more of a curry rather than dry vegetable, probably i added little more water. Sending this to Tried and Tasted :Lisa's Kitchen guest hosted by Aparna an event started by Zlamushka's Spicy Kitchen
For Chana Dal sauce: 1/2 chana dal
3 dry red chillies
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp olive oil
For Cabbage curry:
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 onion chopped finely
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4-6 curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Soak chana dal in water for about 4 to 5 hours.
- Grind together chana dal, asafoetida, red chillies and salt in a crumbly paste.
- In a pan heat the olive oil, fry the chana dal paste for about few mins, add little water if required.
- In a seperate pan, heat oil add in mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds start to splutter, add in chopped onions and saute for about 2 mins.
- Now add in the cabbage, salt and turmeric powder.
- Add in the chana dal sauce with little water in the cabbage mixture. Cover & cook for about 10 - 12 mins on medium heat or until cooked.
- Keep stirring in the middle to make sure the curry doesnt stick to the pan.
- Serve hot with plain rice or rotis.